This week’s topic is Jewish ways understanding what the Bible is, namely what it means to speak of the Bible as “revealed” and “authoritative.” Our guest is Benjamin D. Sommer, professor of Bible and ancient Semitic languages at the Jewish Theological Seminary in New York City. His latest book is Revelation and Authority: Sinai in Jewish Scripture and Tradition. Christians have much to learn from Jews about how to understand the nature of the Bible.
- 4 Things about Western Christianity that Screwed Me Up (But It’s Never too late to Work on It)
- Stretching your mind may lead you to revise what you believe
- B4NP Podcast Episode 13: “On Being a Jewish Biblical Scholar” with Marc Brettler
- My First Big, Can’t-Get-Out-Of-It, “Aha” Moment with the Bible
- “I was always taught the Bible says X, but I just don’t see it”