This week’s guest is Kent Sparks, professor of biblical studies and provost at Eastern University. Our discussion is all about the mystery of Israel’s origins. And it is a mystery. The exodus and conquest of Canaan (Exodus through Joshua) are central to Israel’s identity, and are certainly informed by old traditions and authentic historical memory—but they not historical accounts in the modern sense. How and when, historically speaking, Israel stepped out onto the world stage is a huge mystery, though we have some clues to piece together a compelling picture.
- The Expression of Faith is Its Best Defense
- Historical Criticism and the “Inner Impulse towards Truth” in Christian Faith
- A Brief but Deep Thought on Defending the Christian Faith (or not)
- B4NP Podcast Episode 15: “Violence in the Bible and What to Do With It” with Brian Zahnd
- Eugene Peterson and Professor Kirke’s Study