This week’s guest is Kent Sparks, professor of biblical studies and provost at Eastern University. Our discussion is all about the mystery of Israel’s origins. And it is a mystery. The exodus and conquest of Canaan (Exodus through Joshua) are central to Israel’s identity, and are certainly informed by old traditions and authentic historical memory—but they not historical accounts in the modern sense. How and when, historically speaking, Israel stepped out onto the world stage is a huge mystery, though we have some clues to piece together a compelling picture.
- BFNP Podcast Episode 21: “Resurrection in the Hebrew Bible” with Jon D. Levenson
- Honoring Tradition by Reshaping It: Our Sacred Responsibility
- B4NP Podcast Episode 20: “Reading the Bible as an Experience & Relationship” with Diana Butler Bass
- Zacchaeus: A Story of How to Get Saved—Every Day
- B4NP Podcast Episode 19: “The Bible and Intersex Believers” with Megan DeFranza